In today’s episode of The Professional Content Creation Podcast, I’m thrilled to welcome Cliff Ravenscraft, the Podcast Answer Man. Cliff left a lucrative career in the insurance industry to pursue his passion: podcasting. Initially the transition was a rough one financially, but his income from podcasting now far exceeds what he ever made in insurance. But for Cliff, podcasting is not just about money; Cliff shares with us how the over 3,000 podcast episodes he has produced have changed not only his life, but the lives of his listeners as well.
In this episode we talked about:
- How Cliff first heard about podcasting.
- The frustrations Cliff had with traditional radio programs that you don’t have with podcasts.
- The equipment Cliff used when he first started podcasting and how it’s progressed over the years.
- The advantages to podcasting compared to other types of content such as written blog posts.
- Why to go with audio podcasts, instead of video.
- How video podcasts that have been turned into audio can make the listeners feel like second class citizens.
- The ideal podcasting frequency and length.
- What Cliff could to do double the number of his weekly listeners — and why he chooses not to to it.
- How Cliff’s wife, Stephanie, felt about him quitting his job to podcast full-time.
- How to podcast in a way that you go beyond the intellect and reach people’s hearts.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- The Podcast Answer Man
- Pursuing a Balanced Life
- Leo Laporte
- Outliers by Malcom Gladwell
- This Week in Tech
- MacBreak Weekly
Would you like to start a podcast?
If you’re a “do-it-yourself” kind of person and want to start a podcast, I’d strongly recommend Cliff Ravenscraft’s Podcasting A to Z course. If interested in the training and in getting the $100 discount, go to http://PodcastingAtoZ.com and use the discount code PCC in the shopping cart.
If you’d like to start a podcast but would prefer to have someone else handle many of the aspects of your podcast for you, check out my Podcast Production Services page for details of how I can help.